The Country Club Plaza (often referred to as The Plaza) is a privately owned American shopping center in theCountry Club District of Kansas City, Missouri. The center consists of 18 separate buildings representing 804,000 square feet of retail space and 468,000 square feet of office space. The standalone buildings are built in a distinctive Seville Spain theme and are on different blocks mostly west of Main Street and mostly north of Brush Creek and blends into the Country Club neighborhood around it and the whole area is often simply called the “The Plaza.” It was the first shopping center in the world designed to accommodate shoppers arriving by automobile.
The 55-acre (223,000m) site is about four miles (6.44km) south of downtown, between 45th and 51st streets to the north and south and between Broadway and Madison Street to the east and west. The Kansas state line is one mile (1.6km) to the west. Established in 1922 by J. C. Nichols and designed architecturally after Seville, Spain, the Plaza comprises high-end retail establishments, restaurants, and entertainment venues, as well as offices. The neighborhoods surrounding the Plaza consist of upscale apartment buildings and mansions, especially those of the Country Club District built along Ward Parkway on the Plaza’s southern and southwestern side. The Country Club Plaza is named in the Project for Public Spaces’ list 60 of the World’s Great Places.